Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What on Earth is that?? A beach?!?!?!

Yes seeing is believing........



This is Haeundae Beach in the City of Busan. Home of this guy................................


I took a trip to Busan for the weekend for my mate Troy's birthday. We arrived around lunchtime on Saturday and dropped into the Fuzzy Navel for some lunch after the 2.5hr trip from Jinju - Mexican food and a Margerhita. Off to a top start and then down to the sand for the afternoon. I have to say its a really nice beach. The water may be freezing and there may be no waves, but the location of the beach is spectacular and the sand is real. The skyscrapers hang over the beach, which Ive never seen before........................


After a solid afternoon of drinking our party of about 10 split up and got some food; I had Indian, which when combined with the Mexican food, means i ate more multicultural food in 3 hours than in the last 6 weeks. We met back in the hotel room and drank a bit more before going back to the Mexican place for another Mahgerhita. We were now officially ready, and perhaps some of us a little well-done, to go hit a club for the night. The club was quite good, not the typical shoebox back in jinju playing K-Pop if your lucky. It reminded me of going out back home. Had a great time - something strange happens to me when Im drunk and im in the presence of some massive bloody speakers. Needless to say the photos of me are horrendous.

The next morning was suprisingly less painful than I expected. All 10 of us were out of our 2 hotel rooms by 12 noon (yes we had 10 people in 2 rooms) and we headed back down to the beach, but not before another round of tacos, nachoes and enchiladas. In a strong showing of intellect i decided against another margareta (seriously how difficult is this word to spell), and instead chose a beer. We chilled on the beach for another few hours before heading back on the long trip home.

A fantastic weekend and fun was had by all. I cant really tell you much about the city itself; i was one of 4 places all weekend - the mexican place, the beach, the hotel and the club. My mates tell me its an awesome place to one day i need to actually check the place out.

Now, something that was not as nice as Busan was this............


This is a rice cake filled with assorted foods, or as I like to call it, a puke omelete. Ive stated previously how much I enjoy my Korean food and I try absolutely everything, but this is the first thing that I had to flat out reject. Rice cakes by themselves arent too bad; they have a really bland taste, but nothing terrible. This one however has peas, nuts, olives (i think) and about 10 things i dont want to know about. It tastes as good as it looks and your guess is as good as mine for whatever that yellow thing is (seafood of some description? banana?). Either way, I felt pretty terrible on the morning I recieved this and I certainly didnt feel any better after it. Im am just happy i could take my 2 bites in the semi privacy of my table and then wrap it back up again.

Im just about to head out for dinner with my co-teacher Mr. Lee. He told me in the car on the way back from school that "we Korean people like to drink when it rains". I thought it sounded perfectly reasonable. I mean who doesnt like to drink when it rains? or when its sunny? or when its wednesday? Even though it sounds like a flimsy attempt to justify drinking on a Tuesday, it does make sense. I mean you cant go outside, and whats the most fun that a group of (heterosexual) men can do inside?? Drinking of course!!! So tonight should be fun....

Also just want to quickly say to Lex that I cant wait for you to come over. Your gonna have a great time! Let me know if there is anything you read about that want to do in particular. So excited!!!

1 comment: